- The Film and Supper Club is a monthly event held at the Courtyard Café on Gainsborough Street.
- Please telephone or email us to make your booking. If it is your first booking you will be issued with a membership number and card.
- Price per head is £15.00, to include supper.
- On the evening the café opens from 6.00 pm, when you choose your table, organise drinks and relax.
- A buffet supper is served from 6.30 pm. There is always a main course; dessert; cheese board and coffee or tea. If you have any special dietary requirements you can let us know at the time of your booking.
- Each month we hold a raffle to raise additional funds for The Bridge Project Sudbury.
- Once supper is finished guests make their way to the Film screening.
- The evening usually ends around 10.00 – 10.30 pm, depending on the length of the film.
- Those customers who have provided email addresses are contacted automatically with the monthly newsletter and Film Night diary dates.
- To book for these events please contact email@example.com or or telephone 01787 313691
Wednesday 24 February 2016
Alice Rohrwacher’s bittersweet tale about the onset of adulthood and the fading of old ways is as powerful as it is enchanting. This richly textured drama centres on a family of beekeepers living in stark isolation in the beautiful Tuscan countryside. The dynamic of their overcrowded household is disrupted by the simultaneous arrival of a silently troubled teenaged foster child taken in as a farmhand and a reality TV show intent on showcasing the family. Both intrusions are of particular interest to the eldest daughter, Gelsomina, who is struggling to find her footing in the world. Director Rohrwacher engages all in this unusual world with the ease of someone who knows exactly what they’re talking about, neither judging nor celebrating – always looking with tenderness and a winning sense of humour.
Winner of the Grand Prix prize at Cannes in 2014. English subtitles.
Eilis lives and works in a small town in Ireland but her sister arranges for her to go to the USA to find a real future. Struggling in a new job and a new home after a difficult crossing, her letters home to family back in Ireland chronicle her initial homesickness. But at a dance she meets Tony, from an Italian family, who is quickly besotted with her. Circumstances dictate that she return to Ireland where she is forced to consider her new life and the one she left behind.
Newcomer Saoirse Ronan leads a fantastic ensemble cast including Oscar and Bafta winners Jim Broadbent and Julie Walters. The film premiered at the Sundance Festival 2015 to universal acclaim. It was the largest grossing opening in Ireland since 1996 and is expected to feature in the 2016 Oscars list.
Truly, Madly, Deeply
In memory of the late Alan Rickman, this month we will be showing one of his early film appearances.
Directed by the late Anthony Minghella and starring Alan Rickman, Juliet Stevenson, Michael Maloney and Deborah Findlay, “Truly Madly Deeply” is a romantic comedy drama which explores love and bereavement.
Nina is beside herself with grief at the recent death of her boyfriend, Jamie, a cellist. When she is on the verge of despair, Jamie reappears as a “ghost” and the couple are reconciled. The screenplay never clarifies whether this occurs in reality, or merely in Nina’s imagination. Nina is ecstatic, but Jamie’s behaviour – turning up the central heating to stifling levels, moving furniture around and inviting back “ghost friends” to watch videos – gradually infuriates her, and their relationship deteriorates. She meets Mark, a psychologist, to whom she is attracted, but she is unwilling to become involved with him because of Jamie’s continued presence. Nina continues to love Jamie but is conflicted by his self-centred behaviour and ultimately wonders out loud, “Was it always like this?”
Price per head is £15.00, to include supper.
For most films the café opens at 6.00 pm with a buffet supper served at 6.30 pm. The film is showed from approximately 7.30 pm.
If there is exceptional demand we may offer 2 sittings – this will be confirmed at the appropriate time.
To book for these events please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or or telephone 01787 313691